This sculpture, designed and created by Christopher Fratin, is the oldest known sculpture in any New York City park. It is made of bronze, and was cast in Paris, France in 1850 and was placed in the park in 1863. The sculpture was donated by Gordon Webster Burnham, who also donated the statue of Daniel Webster, as well as other statues in other cities.
The monument depicts a goat, wedged accidentally between two rocks, which is about to be devoured by two Eagles. Their talons are sunk into the back of the goat as they flap their wings in victory.
Text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License