The embassy building, which was built between 1938 and 1942 to plans by Friedrich Hetzel, suffered heavy bomb damage shortly before the end of the Second World War. The western wing on Hiroshimastraße, which survived the war, has been used as a consulate general since 1950. The building is a listed monument and has been restored to plans by the Roman architect, Vittorio De Feo. In March 1996, the Istituto Italiano di Cultura was able to move from its provisional quarters in the consulate to restored parts of the eastern wing. The renovation of the Italian Embassy building was completed in June 2003.
|Item(s) related |