According to oral tradition, Wat Xieng Muan (full name Wat Xieng Muan Vajiramangalaram) was built by Phragna Sisonxay in 1853, during the reign of King Chantharath Koumane (1850-1868), although there is believed to have been a monastery at the site from a much earlier date.
A fine example of Luang Prabang Style II, the sim features a triple nave with four bays and a single porch, and has three mullion windows and six irregularly-placed doors. The simple overlapping roof does not have a central spike, only naga-decorated roof horns. The wat underwent partial restoration in 1964, when windows were added and the wall murals under the porch were whitewashed. At the same time the wooden balustrades were removed and the old paving covered with copper sheets. However, the pediments and half-pediments with their vegetable-inspired designs, and the stencilled paintings on red backgrounds depicting the Buddha multiplying his image infinitely, were kept in conformity with its original appearance.
The monks' quarters at Wat Xieng Muan have been restored for use as a classroom for training monks and novices in woodcarving, painting and bronzecasting, as part of the UNESCO Cultural Survival and Revival in the Buddhist Sangha Project.
- Street address : Ban Xieng Muan
- Telephone :
- Contact : Phra Si Porsi Chief Abbot
- Opening hours : 08:00am-05:00pm daily