Login
Sign up

Send the page
Go to the forum
 
French
   Burma > Rangoon > Shwedagon Pagoda > Maha Ganda Bell
Maha Ganda Bell
Maha Ganda Bell
Singu Min Bell
Section 13 on 36

Shwedagon Pagoda
Place(s) of worship

between 1775 and 1779

Area related : Rangoon

Cliquer pour agrandir

Maha Ganda Bell is known locally as the Singu Min Bell. It was donated in 1779 by King Singu (1776 - 1781), the fourth king of Konbaung Dynasty. The official Pali name of the bell is Maha Gandha, which means "Great Bell".
History   
Singu's Bell is associated with an interesting history. In 1825, British attempted to steal it from Shwedagon Pagoda. However, the ship that carried the bell to India sank in Rangoon River together with the bell. After several unsuccessful attempts to salvage the bell, British finally gave up. Then, a group of Burmese people successfully raised the bell from the river bed without using any modern techniques. The bell was then restored to its original position in Shwedagon pagoda.
Description   
The bell was cast between 1775 and 1779. It weighs 25 tons and measure 7 feet high, 6 feet 8 inches wide at the mouth and 12 inches thick. There are twelve lines of inscription on the bell. The inscriptions describe Singu, who came to the throne on 9 June 1776, who ruled over the country of 16 provinces, cast and donated the bell to Shwedagon on 17 January 1779.
More pictures   
Shwedagon Pagoda
Maha Ganda Bell