|Ruins of St. Paul's |
Ruínas de São Paulo
between 1582 and 1602
The Ruins of St. Paul's refer to the façade of what was originally the Cathedral of St. Paul, a 17th century Portuguese cathedral in Macau dedicated to Saint Paul the Apostle.
|St Augustine's Church |
First established by Spanish Augustinians in 1591, this church maintains the tradition of organizing one of the most popular processions through the city, the Easter Procession, with thousands of devotees.
The present building stands on the site of several previous cathedrals. The original cathedral was the church of Our Lady of Hope of St. Lazarus, declared the mother church of the Macau diocese which included the religious provinces of China, Japan, Korea and other islands adjacent to China.
|St. Lawrence's Church |
Rua de S. Lourenço
between 1801 and 1803
Today the most fashionable church in Macau, St. Lawrence's Church was first built of wood in the 1560's, replaced by Taipa in 1618 and reconstructed in stone 1801/1803.
|Chapel of Our Lady of Penha |
The first chapel was founded in 1622 by the crew and passengers of a ship which had narrowly escaped capture by the Dutch.
|Na Tcha Temple |
This temple was built in 1888 and dedicated to Na Cha in an attempt to halt the Plague rampaging at the time. In contrast to buildings such as the Ruins of St. Paul's around it, the Na Tcha Temple is only a small structure, built with simple materials, but the use of a mixture of reality and illusion in its design manages successfully to create a sense of delicacy and exquisiteness.
|A-Ma Temple |
Rua de S. Tiago da Barra
A-Ma Temple already existed before the city of Macao came into being. The name "Macao" is believed to derive from the Chinese "A-Ma-Gau" meaning "Bay of A-Ma", on which A-Ma Temple is located.
|Bazaar Temple |
Largo do Bazar
The Bazaar Temple, at Largo do Bazar, Macau, was built to worship Marshal Hong Gong, whose wooden statue was found floating by the seaside where the temple now stands.
|Holy House of Mercy |
Established by the first Bishop of Macao in 1569, this institution was modeled after one of the most prominent and oldest charitable organizations in Portugal, and was responsible for founding in Macao the first western-style medical clinic and several other social welfare structures that still function to this day.
|Dom Pedro V Theatre |
Largo de Santo Agostinho
Dom Pedro V Theatre (伯多祿五世劇院), situated at Largo de Santo Agostinho, is one of the first western-style theatres in China. The theatre is an important landmark in the region and remains a venue for important public events and celebrations today.
|Mandarin House |
The Macau Mandarin House is the former residence owned by eminent modern Chinese thinker Zheng Guanying and his father Zheng Wenrui.
|Moorish Barracks |
Built in 1874 on the slope of Barra Hill, this building was constructed to accommodate an Indian regiment from Goa appointed to reinforce Macao's police force. This building is a clear reminder of Macao's close links with Goa and their rank as sister cities in Portuguese history.
|Grand Lisboa |
between 2007 and 2008
Grand Lisboa (新葡京), owned by Sociedade de Turismo e Diversões de Macau and designed by Hong Kong architects Dennis Lau and Ng Chun Man, is a 58-floor 258 metres (846 ft) tall skyscraper currently under construction in Macau.
|Wynn Macau |
between 2004 and 2006
Wynn Macau, owned by Wynn Resorts, is a luxury integrated resort offering gaming combined with a deluxe hotel, restaurants, designer shops, spa, and a choreographed performance lake. It is the first Las Vegas-style integrated resort in Asia. It opened on September 6, 2006.
|Macau Tower |
between 1998 and 2001
Macau Tower (澳門旅遊塔), also known as Macau Sky Tower, measures 338 m (1,109 ft) in height from ground level to the highest point. An observation deck with panoramic views, restaurants, theaters, shopping malls and the Skywalk X, a thrilling walking tour around the outer rim.